Skip to main content

A Chain Is Only As Strong As Its Weakest Link week 3

For years I would always say that I was good working within a system. Whether it was in school growing up or during my time int he military, I always seemed to do when when I was working within a system. But Looking back on it all, I don't think that my strengths come from just being in a system. An established system has processes for just about every aspect of the work it is built to cover. I think that it is my ability to understand process and why processes are set the way they are that give me a leg up in a system.

Give me a process or directive and it will act as both my sword and shield when it comes to executing my job. I learn it quickly and retain it for use in my day to day duties. Sometimes though process can be wielded to produce some"unintended results". I like to think of it as a "Clever use of game mechanics". I don't break the system but it can be occasionally be bent to clear a roadblock.

Now wielding process on its own requires a user to maintain ethics and tact or we might be considered a sociopath, having no feeling towards the human element of the workplace, only loyalty to the black and white of the process. This is where a variety of soft skills like small group communication, interpersonal communication, project management, and emotional intelligence comes into play. I feel that it is the soft skills that keep my ability to wield process honed.

Now the question is, sure I can move through my career and work with established process, but will I ever be able to write my own process? I have the ability to look at possible future actions when they are defined in scope, but when the filed is open and I am in a position to develop process, will I be able to? Perhaps there will always be a higher directive that can set the scope for how my processes can run. It is uncharted waters for me and it is going to be interesting down the road when I get there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Implementation Within a Team week 4

How am I going to implement my project? Well getting my scrum certification is going to be just the start of the implementation of its practices. Where the real challenge is going to be is using scrum in the workplace. Traditionally Scrum is used by software development teams. Where I work, most of our product lines are part of a depot environment and a lot of the processes are based upon not knowing the reason the unit is not working correctly. This leads to stratification of production lines. And while the type of work if similar, there could be hundreds of different units being worked at one time all with their own process and procedure. There are use cases where Scrum is used in manufacturing plants and I can see how it can be implemented there easier than in a repair facility. One of the hurdles is, that five of the same units may be broken in five different ways. How do you break that out? can you scrum the process? the execution? What do teams look like in that sense? Would ...